Bag-check, car seat- check, keys check. And we were on our way. That was December 14th, the day our little boy was about to arrive. It started two weeks before when my wife was sick and tired of being pregnant, the swollen feet, backaches and the all around not being comfortable. At a doctor’s appointment the week prior the doctor had chosen to induce her. It just so happened that the hospital only had one room available and that day was the day before her birthday. At six in the morning we were on our way to eat our last peaceful (childless) breakfast as a couple. I remember arriving at the hospital, at that point not actually understanding the concept of coming home with a newborn. I didn’t actually know what to expect. I just knew that we were to “expect the unexpected” whatever that means. When we got there the nurses wheeled my wife into her room where they got IV’s going and were trying to make her as comfortable and relaxed as possible. We started the morning with a drug to help induce labor. After a long day of waiting, waiting, followed by more waiting, nothing had happened. She was feeling contractions but she was still not dilated enough to deliver the baby. After an unsuccessful first day at the hospital the doctor came to the hospital only to let us know that she should rest the night and get started on another drug called Pitocin the very next day.
After a night of the world’s most uncomfortable sleep, we were ready to begin another long day. It was now December, 15 a cloudy Wednesday and the Pitocin drip was beginning to work its magic. The day seemed to drag on interrupted only by my wife’s contractions and the lingering though of finals in the back of my mind. Finally on one of the nurses many check in’s she said “It’s time!” and suddenly the reality of having a son was closer than I had ever imagined. By 5:40 that evening our handsome son Ivan Adrian was born weighing 6lbs 14oz and 21 inches long, ten fingers and ten toes what more could a daddy ask for? I remember thinking to myself, phew the hard part is over, but little did I know the hard part had just begun.
Adrian I like the amount of detail you give us on how it would be stressful to have to wait an extra night until your little boy came.
ReplyDelete